Saturday, April 14, 2012

Yippy It is Spring....

Welcome to the Magickal Harvest Blog. We are excited that you took a few minutes to stop buy and say Hello! 
If you didn't get a chance to listen to today's Episode of Magickal Harvest Radio.  You can listen live via the player.. 
 over there ------------------------------------->

Today we talked about The Marvelous Dandelion.
 (These thoughts are written by Jen so you don't have to wonder who is typing this post)
The Dandelion is often considered to an uncontrollable weed,that mars the perfection of the vast waste of space..the lawn. (This is just one of my many issues)  
Herbalists see this herb as a great source of food as well as medicine.  The dandelion is a rich source of vitamins A, B complex, C, and D, as well as minerals such as iron, potassium, and zinc. 
Curious about how these Magickal little weeds can help you medically. Take a Look at   Dandelion Article from the University of Maryland Medical Center

Dandelion leaves are used teas, salads and and many recipes that showcase greens. 
The Root can be roasted and used as a coffee substitute.   I Recently have been become addicted to combining roasted dandelion root,chicory and coffee.. all I can say it is magickal!  The flowers are used to make wine (Which i am cooling right now so i can add the yeast.. cant wait) and a couple days ago fritters! YUM!  
This Poor misunderstood herb  not only gives once.. but it on keeps giving. 




So Today I went out and harvest some dandelion flowers.. along with a couple honey bee. I Collected enough to make 2 gal of Dandelion wine. (Dawn if you get some flowers I can add them to what is started already... I have room to do 6 gal in my vat)
Here is the recipe I used 
( I wish I could remember where I found it.. If this belongs to any of my readers let me know so I can give you credit)
  • 1 package dried yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 2 quarts dandelion blossoms
  • 4 quarts water
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 8 whole cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
  • 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped orange peel
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped lemon peel
  • 6 cups sugar
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Set aside.

Wash the dandelion blossoms well. Put them in the water with the orange, lemon and lime juices. Add the cloves, ginger, orange and lemon peel, and sugar. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for an hour. Strain through filter paper (coffee filters work great). Cool. While still warm (but not hot), stir in the yeast.

Let stand overnight and pour into bottles Allow uncorked bottles to set in a darkened place for three weeks. Then cork and store bottles in a cool place.

Makes about 4 quarts.


(I have a Wine/beer making bucket that I will allow to ferment in, I will rack it in 1 week, allow to 3 weeks, then bottle )


As we mentioned in the show both Dawn and I are use what you have in the kitchen Kind of Cooks.
So here is What I used to make the Dandelion Fritters..

Pick and Clean Dandelion Flowers. Removing the Stem
In Bowl Mix
  • 1 cup flour 
  • 1 egg
  • a dash of milk to thin it to a thick pancake batter
  • Add seasonings of your choice.
In a pan place some butter and pan fry the Fritters.. sprinkle with a little salt when done. That is it I dipped mine in a little blue cheese dressing. YUM!

Dandelion Greens & Smashed Potatoes



I am not recipe writer so here is the easiest way of describing how this awesomeness in a bowl comes together

First I took about 1.5 -2 lb of potatoes, chopped them, put in pan. added water and salt and cooked till soft.

While the potatoes are cooking.. I placed 2 thick pieces of bacon in a skillet and browned. Removed bacon and added a clove a garlic and chopped green onions to the pan. cooked a few min added a bunch of Clean chopped dandelion greens. allow to wilt.

When Potatoes are done. Drain and Smash, Add in butter and milk or broth. mixed in the chopped bacon and Greens..  then stab people in hands with forks when they try to steal some.

Well I am sure Dawn will have more to say... But I'm gonna play outside. Have fun and remember.. " I have have the right to fresh food and I have the Power to Grow it!"


The Magickal Harvest Disclaimer: All information and material contained within on our site is strictly for informational and educational purposes only.Please consult your physician or other qualified health professional before taking any herbal supplements or natural medicines of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment