After a nice and well needed break we are back..
Happy Imbolc Everyone.
We had great show. It was chuck full of information. So if you didn't catch it when it aired. By all means listen. Just click the little widget for Blog talk and enjoy.
Can you believe that we are now in February? We neither can we. we are just happy to be back! With Spring right around the corner. There is must to be done in the garden.
Now is the time to...cut back brambles, plan and build your hard structures such as greenhouse and raised beds. Also time to plan your watering systems
Plants to sow indoors: Cabbage, Celery, Endive, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Mache, Onions, bulb
Radicchio Scallion (green onion) and Spinach
Herbs: Chives, Fennel, Leaf Marjoram, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage Savory, Summer Thyme
Transplants: Asparagus and Rhubarb
(Of course this will very depending on where you are on this planet)
Today’s Magickal Imbolc menu:
- Soda Bread with Caraway Seeds
- Home made butter
- Jen's Green Soup
Homemade Butter: This so EASY!!!!!
- Take a quart size mason jar.
- Fill 1/2 to 5/8 full of cream.
- Here you can add some salt or herbs to taste.
- This was a great activity to get the kids help with. Pass it around.
(We did this during our Imbolc Ritual, it is full of blessings and magick)
With spring so close we coming to a period of the season where we want warm comfort food that is on the lighter side. This green soup base is a go to food for me (Jen). What I love best about this soup is that other than it being full of greens, is that it is a kitchen sink soup, anything goes. There are no exact measurements. This will make a nice size pot of soup. to adjust your ingredients based on your pot.
- Caramelize 2-3 large Onions.
- Thinly slice onions
- In skillet over medium low heat: drizzle Olive Oil or a pat of UNSALTED Butter (There is a reason for the unsalted butter... Adding salt during the caramelizing process,will prevent the very thing you are trying to accomplish)
- Place onions in pan and cover. Stir occasionally
- Cook till caramelized. (when you think it is ready cook a little longer)
- Caramelized Onions.
- Stock ( I make a Big pot so i use about 93 oz of stock. This could be chicken or veggie stock.)
- Toss in 2-3 cloves of peeled garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf (if you don't have that is OK, I like how it helps meld all the flavors)
- Add herbs of choice at this point
- 3 Tbsp of white rice (This will give you our creamy texture with out adding dairy.
- Cook for about 15 min at a good soft simmer.
- Spinach, Kale, Mustard or Turnip Greens or what ever combination of greens that your heart desires. (Just remove the thick stems... save those for your next batch of stock)